Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Who's directing your career path?

Where exactly does an IT Department fit within a Corporation? My first job as a Computer Programmer in 1996 was for an organization that had just hired its IT Director three months earlier. The two of us were given an office that barely fit two desks and a large file cabinet. The company server was a Windows desktop sitting out in the open in the middle of the Accounting Department. Not only were the Executives not sure where to put us and our equipment, they weren't really sure how to manage us.

Since our humble beginnings, we have flourished and grown in numbers and manage many offsite locations each with their own dedicated server rooms and databases. We have worked our way into the forethoughts of the Executives. And we are managed the way Executives have always managed.

After following the traditional educational routes involving years of evening math courses, I decided to break free from the Executive's recommendations of education and seek out specialized training and certification as a Computer Programmer. Finally, I have taken control of the direction of my career. I am now involved in Forums, listening to Podcasts every moment I can, and reading programming books in preparation of the certification tests.

The Executive route wasn't a direction I wanted my career to head. Evaluate where you want to be in ten years and talk to someone that you trust; preferably someone in the position you desire. Do what feels right to fuel the fire of your passion. 

Blessings, 

Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment